Here is a recent online query on Returning to India.
I am a software engineer from India and I have spent my last 15 years abroad in various countries. Which place in India is best for an NRI like me to settle down on returning to India with a decent job?
Response from our editor follows
This is a great question, but there is hardy any information on your interests, personal situation, career goals or intent.
If you were unconstrained and had the resources, wouldnt you want to settle in Andamans ?
or Himachal Pradesh?
India is a vast, ever-changing nation so it is really important to focus on these:
- Interests and personal situation:
- Are you extroverted and outgoing and want an urbane social circle?
- Do you have an extended family living in a certain region? Do you plan to socialize frequently with your family?
Your interests and personal situation will guide you on the city/region where you want to ‘settle down.’ For example, if your extended family is in Imphal, Manipur, wouldn’t you be better off settling closer in Imphal, Assam or Kolkata? Same goes for your interests. If you love the ocean, wouldn’t you want to settle in Mumbai or Goa?
- Career goals:
- Do you specialize in a very niche area. E.g AI or Big-data tool?
- Do you plan to enrich your career with a move to India?
I am not going to assume whether you are an AI, Big-data or HANA consultant since most metros will have opportunities for these. If you plan to settle in a major metro, this may be a non-issue. However, if you are looking at settling in tier-2 cities, you need to reflect on your career goals and re-skilling too.
- Are you clear why you want to move back to India?
- Are you prepared to accept the ways of life in a developing nation – traffic, pollution, regionalism etc?
Bottomline: Be clear of your intent and you will be better informed. Check out my recent post: “What were your experiences moving back to India after getting US citizenship? What are the best ways to make this move?
You may also be interested in Return 2 India Section of GaramChai.com